Saturday, June 11, 2011

Paradox: The Angels are Here by Patti Roberts: Review

Blurb:

A little girls world is turned upside down by a visitor, the Angel of Death. She finds herself trapped in a nightmare, consumed by her paralyzing loss and overwhelming grief. Haunting visions and the untimely deaths of others are a constant reminder that life and death are only a heartbeat away.
She eventually befriends the unusual little girl who moves in next door with captivating violet eyes and a profound knowledge of things that far exceeds her tender years.
"Masks camouflage the faces of both good and evil. Keeps hidden what is a truth and what is a lie."
Lives - bound together by blood - forge an unforgettable trail of heartbreak, loss and betrayal spanning over centuries to the present day.




My Review:

This book definitely made me think outside the box. I’ve never been a big believer in angels or devils, but I was still touched by the idea of them that the author portrayed in this book. Grace is able to see and communicate with an angel named Hope, who protects Grace. As Grace grows and tragedy happens in her life, the reader sees a huge change in her. Grace goes from a socially awkward loner, to a somewhat happy, talkative young girl with the help of another little girl, Angela. Angela is obviously different then other little girls. It doesn’t come right out and say it, but there are enough inferences to make me believe that she is an Angel.  There were definitely moments in this book that brought tears to my eyes, because no little girl should have to go through what Grace went through.

There is also another story going on throughout the book, and it deals with evil. This evil race of immortals have their own Kingdom on what I do believe is a distant planet? There they plot a war to destroy their enemies.

Paradox was a pretty quick read, and it left off with a  bit of a cliff hanger, because there is a second book in the series. It jumped around quite a bit, so I was lost several times. I really like the author's style of writing, but felt that the plot was very vague and hard to follow at times. I think the second book will get more into the evil side of the plot.


I give this novel 3.5 out of 5 stars. The only reason I didn't give it a higher rating is because I felt lost several times, but I definitely want to read the next book in the series, because I feel like it's really going to pick up and be a good series.


No comments:

Post a Comment