Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Sixth Surrender by Hana Samek Norton





Book One of 2011:


So far this year I have read; The Sixth Surrender by Hana Samek Norton. I wasn't very impressed. It was like a historical romance gone wrong, very wrong. Sister Eustace (Juliana) is forced into marriage by Eleanor of Aquitaine. She either has to wed, or lose her inheritance. She marries the typical bad-boy, rogue of that time period, and of course they hate each other. Most historical romances get to the good stuff (i.e. the sex) much earlier in the novel. This one drug out the romance until the very end, when of course Juliana realizes that she's in love w/ him, and that he's in love with her, and they almost lose each other....blah, blah, blah. I had to force myself to finish this one. I just wasn't really drawn in to the book, and the way it was set up as a historical fiction book, but with the undertones of a historical romance novel, just didn't appeal to me. I mean, either be a good historical novel, with a good writing style, and some exciting action and a little romance, OR be a full blown historical romance novel with all the detailed sex scenes. I guess this book was just boring. There was nothing in it that kept me on the edge of my seat (well, in my case, bed), and the writing style seemed to drag along, and by the time I was done with the novel, I hadn't learned anything new or exciting about the time period the book had even taken place in.
I definitely wouldn't recommend this book, and it will not be joining my library...I'll be selling it back on half.com as soon as some sad sap is silly like me and buys the damn thing! This book is why I sometimes have trouble trying out a new author. I have my set of historical fiction authors that I know that whatever book they put out, I'm going to love it. I obviously try to give new authors a chance, because there's always the chance I'll find one that I love to add to the other authors I adore, but sorry Norton, this book definitely didn't do it for me.

1 comment:

  1. If you are looking for a reputable contextual advertising network, I recommend that you try Clicksor.

    ReplyDelete