Saturday, February 12, 2011

Goodreads.com = Amazing

I have no clue how I didn't know about the site Good Reads before starting this blog! It's great, and it would have been so useful over the years had I known about it! I was always googling "historical fiction" trying to find new authors that I might be interested in reading. I'm the type of person who finds a book I love, and then I'll read every book that author has written. That would be why I've read all of Philippa Gregory, Robin Maxwell, Bertrice Smalls, Susan Higginbotham, and C.W. Gortner's books! Good Reads makes it so easy to find books that I like reading.
It's funny that I spent the past 15 or so years thinking that I was strange for loving historical fiction so much, and then I decide to check out blogspot (because I decided that I needed to start keeping track of the books I read), and I discovered that there are so many people out there who love historical fiction as much as I do, probably even more! My friends and family could never understand why I would want to read about Kings and Queens and other historical figures, hell, half my friends don't even know who King Henry VIII was or whether the Civil War or Revolutionary War happened first! I have always been fascinated by  history. I wanted to major in history when I went to college, but I knew it would be pretty much impossible to get a job. I ended up graduating with my B.A. in English Literature, so yeah, there were no jobs for that either (which is why I went back for my M.A. in Education!) I would love to teach history, but only if it was what I wanted to teach! I would despise teaching politics, but that's a part of being a Social Studies teacher now. Plus, the History teaching field is even more flooded than English, so it would be even harder to find a job.
Anyways, I'm rambling again. I am just extremely excited to find a couple of sites where I can finally share my love of reading historical fiction (and just reading in general). I love being able to read other's blogs, and I love Good Reads, because it allows me to see what other people, who have similar interests as me, are reading as well.
The only problem now is that I have about 15 books or more, sitting at home waiting for me to read them, and I want to read them all at once! I'm reading two books at the same time right now! I'm re-reading "A Clash of Kings" by George R.R. Martin, because the HBO show based on his series, "A Game of Thrones" begins in April, and I want to refresh myself with the books. I'm also reading Jean Plaidy's "A Murder Most Royal." I like it, but it's a little slow. It might seem a little slow because I've read around ten other books about Anne Boleyn, so everything in the book I've read or heard about Anne before. I guess I just thought it was going to be a lot more interesting than it is. I'm sure I'll finish it, but I wish I could put it down and start a new one! If I did that I'd end up forgetting everything I had read up to my stopping point, and have to start over again, so I just need to finish it. I think I'll read "A Clash of Kings" first though!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Goodreads can be a dangerous place!!

    I wasn't overly thrilled with Murder Most Royal either - I liked Plaidy's other books about both Anne and Catherine better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! I saw your friend request on Goodreads just now and figured I'd check you out. I'm glad I found your blog, it looks really cool! I'm going to become a new follower.

    I love love LOVE Goodreads. I think I found it about a year ago and I really wish it had been around ages ago. If you have a smartphone, you should really download the free app. At least for the iPhone version, they now have a barcode scanner so you can scan your physical books in your house and automatically add them to your lists.

    I also have read a lot of Philippa Gregory books, mainly all the Tudor ones. I'm obsessed with the Tudors. I've also read three or four of Christopher Gortner's books. He's such a good writer and a really nice guy. Another historical fiction author you should check out is Jeanne Kalogridis. I've read four or so of her books and she's really good as well.

    What I've noticed since since joining both Goodreads about a year ago and starting my own blog to share my thoughts on books I read, is that I've read MORE and really branched out with my reading. I've discovered tons of new authors and I've read more historical fiction and other genres and I have even read books that were out of my comfort zone and ended up loving them. Books are the best thing in the world and words are so powerful. I just can't gush enough about books.

    Anyway, I'll stop before I write my own book here in your comment section LOL! Nice to meet you and I'll be back around!

    Amber (aLmYbNeNr)
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete